Acupuncture began in China about 3,000 years ago and has been developed and perfected by its founders and practitioners. Through precise needle placements, acupuncture can regulate both the female and male reproductive systems. Placing the needles at specific points allows for the whole cascade of cell signaling molecules to be released. These molecules have various effects on the nervous, immune, and endocrine systems. The brain and nervous system release endorphins that balance the body, allowing the central and peripheral nervous systems to respond more moderately to stress. Clinical research shows that this balancing of hormones through acupuncture may benefit fertility by:
- Regulating the menstrual cycle
- Strengthening the lining of the uterus
- Correcting hormonal imbalances that could impact fertility
- Promoting blood flow to reproductive organs
- Providing relief for symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Increasing sperm capacity, quality, and mobility
Supporting Fertility Through Acupuncture
Acupuncture can increase fertility by increasing circulation to reproductive organs and balancing hormones. However, acupuncture treatments don’t have to stop at conception. Acupuncture practices can support a woman throughout her pregnancy as well.
Acupuncture can be classified as an end-to-end treatment, supporting women from preconception to postpartum. The scientific community continues to confirm the efficacy of acupuncture, both on its own and when used alongside Western medicine. Many IFV clinics now incorporate acupuncture into their medical procedures due to its ability to enhance the effectiveness of IVF transfers.
- Before Conception: Acupuncture encourages circulation to reproductive organs while balancing the endocrine and reproductive systems. When used at this time, acupuncture may help a woman to conceive, prevent miscarriage, or correct imbalances that may lead to repeated miscarriages. It can also help a man to increase the quantity and quality of the sperm.
- After Conception: During the pregnancy, acupuncture alleviates morning sickness, leg or back pain, swelling, and general discomfort. Additionally, a woman can utilize acupuncture before delivery to prepare her body for easy labor, to turn the breach baby, and during the delivery to reduce labor pains and accelerate delayed labor. By treating underlying blockages acupuncture proves helpful in assisting in difficult deliveries.
The Bottom Line
Ancient Chinese medicine believes that acupuncture’s ability to stimulate Qi and blood flow, restore natural bodily fluids, and improve balance enriches the quality of both the egg and sperm. In turn, this creates an optimal environment for conception and implantation.
While the idea of promoting balance to optimize these physical functions stays essential, it remains only a piece of the entire picture of fertility. Alongside biological factors, things such as your mental and emotional health and nutrition also play an important role when preparing you and helping you to have a healthy baby.
If you are struggling to get pregnant or experiencing infertility or just want support on your parenting journey and considering acupuncture treatment, please contact us to schedule a consultation.